Washing Machine is an appliance that wash your dirty clothes. If your washing machine smells like mold and mildew, you are not alone. This is a very common problem that several homeowners face with their front loader washer. But the good news is that you can easily get rid of this problem and prevent future problems with good washer cleaning habits.
A moldy smell can spoil all your clothes and towels. It happens because front loading washing machines have a number of parts that can remain wet after a washing cycle. You may use plenty of products to clean your washer, but it is best to wipe the parts down as well. If you suffer from an unpleasant odor in your washing machine, the first step is to get rid of the mildew and bacteria causing the smell. Follow some simple steps, to get your appliance smelling good again.
- Clean the washer tub monthly: It is a good idea to clean the washer tub every month to prevent mold smell. You can run the empty cycle at least once per month to clean the tub. Pour two cups of white vinegar into the washer tub and run a hot water or cleaning cycle. Once you have done with white vinegar, after that run the washer again with hot water only.
- Break up with your old detergent: If you use a front loading washing machine, you should always use a high efficiency detergent. Normal detergents are not good for your washer’s health. These can simply produce suds than your front loader can handle. Suds leave behind residue inside the machine.
- Clean the drain pump: Front loading washing machines have an accessible drain pump with a filter inside and coins, lint and hair can end up there. By allowing them to build up inside the pump, you increase the chances of bad washer smell. If your washer has a filter inside the pump, it is crucial to clean it time to time.
- Clean the gasket: Whether you use a high efficiency detergent or clean the washer tub every month, there is no guarantee that your washing machine won’t develop some mold friendly buildup. The gasket around the door is also a problem. So, you should remove debris or dust you see trapped in the gasket and clean it on a regular basis.
- Leave the door ajar: Once you wash a load of laundry, leave the door of washer ajar to allow the steam to escape and the water to evaporate. If you close the door immediately after completing the laundry, you trap in humid air that is the main reason of mold and mildew problem.
- Call a professional: If your washer is under warranty and you face a smell problem with it, it is best to call an appliance repair professional. A qualified and trained person is able to diagnose the problem and recommend the possible solutions. You can try to clean the filter and drain on your own.
These are a few important steps to get rid of mold smell in front loading washing machine. Hope, these given tips will help you to remove mildew smell in your washer. If you want to know more about it, speak with our professionals at Brampton Appliance Repair.